Getting people to learn scuba diving (and continue on after they’re certified) is a team effort, and PADI® is always looking for ways to make Members’ businesses stand out and shine. The Dive Shop Locator (DSL) was created more than a decade ago so new divers could find dive training they could trust.
With the newly redesigned and repackaged PADI.com, it was time for the DSL to get a refresh. As the new PADI DSL Beta is unveiled, PADI Members will see a host of exciting features – all with the goal of making sure their business keeps growing. Here’s a quick FAQ of what you can expect from the new PADI Dive Shop Locator.
What are the key features to the new DSL?
Check out the value and sheer number of these new features of the PADI DSL Beta.
- Better User Experience – The user journey matches what users expect from a location-based search experience from sites like Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Google Maps. This includes cleaner page layouts and information hierarchy, intuitive task flows and visual consistency.
- Enhanced Map View – Adjustments to the way search looks at geography has improved the look and feel of the visual indicator dive shop flags to clearly indicate the type of dive center shown on the map (g. a PADI 5 Star).
- Improved Filtering – New filters use more descriptive terminology and intuitive filter groupings.
- Faster Loading Speed/Performance – The new PADI DSL is a quicker experience regardless of whether your area has high or low bandwidth.
- More Detailed Dive Shop Pages – Each dive shop has a unique URL and page. This will allow the pages to be “deeplinked,” which helps marketing teams and members share the URL via email and on websites, and allows pages to be indexed by search engines like Google.
- Better Mobile Experience – The new DSL is a fully mobile friendly and responsive experience.
- Improved Search – Users will have the ability to search by almost any (reasonable) dive-related phrase to locate a dive shop or location.
- More Clearly Delineated Ads – Sponsored ads are displayed within the search results list and map, making them more visible to end-users.
- Filter by Freediving Centers – Individual dive shop pages and filter menu includes the ability to filter by freediving centres.
- Visibility for PADI 5 Star – Search results show all shops but, list 5 Star Dive Centres and Resorts more prominently.
What is a “Beta” and how will this work?
The Dive Shop Locator is an important tool that divers find and connect with dive centres and resorts. To fully understand how any new design affects this process, the PADI team will make both the current and new design available to users and allow them to switch between each experience and leave feedback. For the next two to three months, the team will monitor interact with each, adjusting each design as needed and sharing the learnings.
How long will the DSL Beta run?
The DSL Beta will initially run for eight to 12 weeks, but will be flexible so that enough data can be collected to make the DSL the best it can be.